A hiking adventure: Mosåsen hiking area
Mosåsen is one of the most popular hiking areas in Mosjøen, offering well-maintained trails, pathways, and beautiful outdoor spaces with picnic tables and benches.
Degree of difficulty: Easy
Season: May to November (depending on snow conditions)
Distance: Round trip. Total 5.6 kilometers
Ascent one way: Around 140 meters
Duration one way: 1 to 2 hours total, excluding breaks
Trailhead: The hike begins from the parking lot for Mosåsen hiking area, approximately a five-minute drive from the center of Mosjøen.
Find the trailhead in Google Maps
Find parking for people with disabilities in Google Maps
This is a pleasant nature walk that takes you up and into the forest southeast of Mosjøen. The route follows nice gravel roads all the way, and after some initial uphill sections, the terrain becomes mostly flat as you venture further into the hills. Parts of the road are partially paved, making it suitable for families with children on a bike ride. After the initial steep climbs, the trail offers a mix of gentle ascents and descents until you reach Mostjønna.
This trail description ends at Mostjønna, a lovely pond with benches, a sheltered resting area, and a fire pit. However, there are many other paths and trails that continue further into and around Mosåsen, offering opportunities for longer explorations in the area.
The trail is partially paved and accessible for wheelchair users.
Thank you for respecting the local communities, and for helping us preserve the natural beauty of Helgeland!
- Strive to leave no trace of your visit. Bring back all your rubbish, including used toilet paper, and discard it in the nearest rubbish bin.
- Plan your toilet visits and use the opportunity when you pass a toilet. In the wilderness, make sure you are not a nuisance to others.
- Respect the local wildlife. Keep a good distance from wildlife, livestock and birds. Keep your dog leashed.
- Respect private property. Keep a respectful distance from houses and cabins.
- Show good boating sense. Keep a good distance from shore and drive at a low speed, especially when you are close to anyone or anything on the water, including birds or animals. Avoid loud and disturbing engine noise. Be aware that some islands and nature reserves are important nesting sites, and that going ashore is prohibited during the nesting season.
- Follow the Norwegian Mountain Code (Fjellvettreglene). Plan your excursion according to the weather forecast, your skills and experience.
- Join a guided excursion or consider hiring an experienced guide, especially when you don’t have sufficient experience or knowledge to guarantee a safe trip.
Find accommodations, dining options, and activities nearby.
A guided snowmobile adventure with Hi North
Go on an exciting winter adventure in the magnificent snow-covered mountains of Helgeland. The guided excursion explores several of the most beautiful mountain areas as we speed along Helgeland’s extensive snowmobile trails.
Dog-sledding in scenic surroundings
If you’re looking for a truly exotic wilderness adventure, we offer dog-sledding in magnificent scenery in cooperation with Granåsen Huskies. This company really know the mountain wilderness near Mosjøen. On this shared adventure you may well make new friends, four-legged as well as two-legged!
A guided ice fishing trip with Hi North
Hi North knows where you’ll find the lakes that offer the best fishing in Helgeland. All you have to bring is warm winter clothes, patience and a positive attitude; combined with our expert guide’s detailed local knowledge, a good catch is almost guaranteed!
Located conveniently by the E6 at the entrance to Mosjøen, Topcamp Mosjøen is just steps away from some of the town’s most beautiful outdoor and activity areas. The campsite boasts a large playground, spaces tailored for motorhomes, caravans, and tents, and offers guests a choice of comfortable cabins and apartments.
Guest Houses in the historic area in Mosjøen
Visitors are welcome to stay in one of the historic houses on Sjøgata street. The apartments offered are furnished in the old style but fully-equipped. Renting accommodation here will give you a good feel for a time that was less hurried – while enjoying all the comforts and amenities we have come to expect today.