A hiking adventure: Silforsen og Breidal mountain farm
Embark on a delightful family-friendly excursion to discover picturesque bathing spots and the enchanting abandoned mountain farm of Breidal. Starting from Krokstrand Fjellpark, this adventure takes place in the scenic surroundings on the border of Saltfjellet-Svartisen National Park.
Degree of difficulty: Easy
Season: From June to October
Distance one way: 2.3 kilometers
Ascent one way: Around 100 meters
Duration one way: 30 minutes – 1 hour
Trailhead: The hike starts from Krokstrand Fjellpark
Find the trailhead in Google Maps
Setting off from Krokstrand Fjellpark, the route follows a gravel road, with charming forest trails branching off towards the river. Take the opportunity to explore these hidden pathways and enjoy a few moments by the water’s edge. After approximately 700 meters, a path descends towards the mesmerizing giant’s cauldrons above Silforsen, offering idyllic bathing pools. Continuing along the road, you will soon arrive at Breidalsstranda, a delightful sandy beach, perfect for refreshing swims on warm summer days.
Just before reaching the bridge over Ranelva, a nostalgic sight awaits at a road junction adorned with an old bus stop. Here, you can still read the bus schedule from 1959. The bus service is no longer operational, so your journey continues on foot. Take a right turn at the intersection, and the path leads you uphill, transitioning into a scenic forest road that leads to the enchanting abandoned mountain farm of Breidal. As the farm remains under private ownership, it is crucial to show respect and practice responsible, leave-no-trace principles during your visit.
Thank you for respecting the local communities, and for helping us preserve the natural beauty of Helgeland!
- Strive to leave no trace of your visit. Bring back all your rubbish, including used toilet paper, and discard it in the nearest rubbish bin.
- Plan your toilet visits and use the opportunity when you pass a toilet. In the wilderness, make sure you are not a nuisance to others.
- Respect the local wildlife. Keep a good distance from wildlife, livestock and birds. Keep your dog leashed.
- Respect private property. Keep a respectful distance from houses and cabins.
- Show good boating sense. Keep a good distance from shore and drive at a low speed, especially when you are close to anyone or anything on the water, including birds or animals. Avoid loud and disturbing engine noise. Be aware that some islands and nature reserves are important nesting sites, and that going ashore is prohibited during the nesting season.
- Follow the Norwegian Mountain Code (Fjellvettreglene). Plan your excursion according to the weather forecast, your skills and experience.
- Join a guided excursion or consider hiring an experienced guide, especially when you don’t have sufficient experience or knowledge to guarantee a safe trip.
Krokstrand Fjellpark – Accommodation, food and a climbing park!
With holiday accommodation at Krokstrand, young and old can take the challenge in the “High & Low Climbing Park”, play mini-golf, hike the mountains or go fishing. Hunting in the nearby wilderness is also available. Rent a room or an entire holiday home, and dine on delicious home-cooked meals in the café.Read more & book