IGERØY – SØLA – NES
- Take the ferry from Horn, situated outside the town of Brønnøysund, to Igerøy at Vega. Parking is available on the quay – and you can launch your kayak right there.
- Explore the narrow sounds between the scenic islands. You may even catch a close-up view of the white-tailed sea eagle.
- Take your time, savour your surroundings, pull ashore on one of the islets and stretch your legs.
- After a few hours journey, you reach Søla, an uninhabited island approx. 12 nautical miles west of Vega. Søla resembles a large hat with a brim, and is a seamark for sailors and coastal fishermen. The 432-metre summit enjoys a magnificent panorama. The island is part of the Hysvær-Søla Landscape Preservation Area; please be mindful of the environment and extremely cautious when lighting a fire.
- If you are satisfied with a short excursion, you can now set a return course for Igerøy.
- For a longer journey, continue on to Nes at Vega. Most of this six-hour leg passes through sheltered waters, with a couple of exposed stretches. At your destination you can pitch a tent. Accommodation is also available in one of the charming rorbu cabins (book in advance).
- Be sure to visit the Eider Duck Museum (E-huset) to learn more about the islanders unique and ancient tradition as guardians of these birds, which yield the best down in the world.
- Allow plenty of time for your return journey to Igerøy. Consider an overnight stop on one of the islands en route. Land-based transport from Nes to Igerøy is also available.
For additional suggestions for good kayaking excursions, please contact the Vega Tourist Information Office, tel. +47 75 03 53 88.
Tips: Would you like a guide or company on your excursion? Vega Opplevelsesferie at Nes offers one- and two-day kayak excursions, all equipment and food included.